Monday, July 20, 2009

A GAME OF THRONES has a CAST!!!!

I have refrained from posting anything about this because I never wanted to get my hopes up. A Game of Thrones is the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and it's my favorite book of all-time. Many many months back, HBO ordered a pilot for a potential series, but because of the size and scope of the books, I never thought it would go through. Thankfully, I was wrong. They've had a script maid, attached a director, and have finally started casting. And wouldn't you know, I couldn't have picked a better cast myself!!!

Firstly, let me just briefly explain the books. A Game of Thrones is like LOTR, but with sex, swearing, and lots of blood and violence. Whereas honor is a noble trait for Aragorn, people with honor in a Game of Thrones are laughed at because it makes them way too predictable in politics. Also unlike LOTR, the bad guys almost always win. There's rarely a happy ending, but sometimes life is like that right? There are still medieval and supernatural elements to the books, but I'm mostly pleased with how smart it is in regards to political maneuvering. Anyway, here's the cast.


Sean Bean as main character Eddard Stark; A CASTING COUP! He is the moral center of the books.


Mark Addy as the fat old drunk warrior/King Robert Baratheon. He's Eddard's best friend.


Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister (their family rivals the Starks), the dwarf (my favorite character)

So what should we make of all this? First: HBO rarely messes up. They made historical drama (ROME) funny, captivating, and flat out awesome. Second: They are putting a lot of work into this. Authentic sets, talented actors, a lot of story to work with, it's very exciting. Third: With loser Harry Potter raking in money, medieval magic might be attractive to a large audience, especially when they find out this isn't a kiddie story.

Read the books. Watch the show.

WINTER IS COMING

No comments: