Saturday, August 1, 2009

WALL OF FAME: Sean Bean

Inducted 8-2009 by Herb




Wow, I totally forgot to update the Wall these past several months, so here's the first of 2 or 3 that I'll induct this month.

Everybody has a favorite actor that isn't that famous and doesn't make a ton of movies, but seems to always be there for the big moments in life out of sheer luck. Sean Bean is that actor for me. He gave James Bond his stiffest challenge in GoldenEye as 006. On top of that being a spectacular movie, the GoldenEye game for N64 is my number 2 favorite game of all time, so Bean was always around. After being in few stinkers (Ronin, Don't Say a Word), he dominated the Fellowship of the Ring. LOTR is epic and cool, but how many of us can really identify with the unbreakable wills of Frodo and Aragorn? I sided with the flawed Boromir, because, given similar circumstances, I would also want to use the ring to help defend the people sacrificing the most. His heroic movie death is one of the saddest in history, maybe topping Bruce Willis in Armageddon. So after playing Bond for years, I was swept up in LOTR films and games for another 5 years. Then, Sean Bean played the central NPC in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (my 8th favorite game of all time). I sunk well over 150 hours into that game, and a lot of it speaking with Martin Septim (Bean) and doing quests for him. The point of this is that Bean has had maybe 4 or 5 awesome roles (GoldenEye, Patriot Games, LOTR, Troy, Oblivion) yet he's a big part in all the stuff I did growing up.

Luckily, you can never get enough Bean, so the fact that he is starring as the main character in HBO's adapation of MY FAVORITE BOOK SERIES EVER is just another in a long line of lucky breaks.

1 comment:

Andy said...

Ronin!....a stinker?