Sunday, April 26, 2009

FILM: Review: Pineapple Express

*Posted August 14, 2008*

Unlike Tropic Thunder, a movie I thought would be incredible, I sat down with Pineapple Express expecting a stinker. This shouldn't be a surprise to you since last week I blasted Seth Rogen. I was mostly right. This was written by Rogen and his buddy (they both wrote Superbad) and you could definitely tell. Take the tail end of Superbad where Evan and Seth are drunk and getting ready to fall asleep. Stretch that conversation for about an hour and a half, and that's Pineapple Express. Seth Rogen and James Franco are baked for almost the entire movie, and the dialogue has that kind of weird unusual openness to it. A lot of it is crazy thoughts (smoking this is like killing a unicorn with a bomb) that is funny because you've never heard stuff like this before, but there's nothing else to it. If I watch Pineapple Express again, most of it will seem MUCH less funny. Seth Rogen is Seth Rogen, the same character brought back for another adventure. Luckily for me, their are other much more capable actors anchoring the plot. James Franco and Danny McBride as drug dealers Saul and Red are the friendliest, most endearing drug dealers you'd ever meet. McBride especially stole every scene he was in. The supporting players were also good, mostly Apatow favorite Craig Robinson. Even though I hate Rogen, Pineapple Express outperformed my expectations, even though this is probably a movie that won't hold up to repeat viewings like Superbad. File this in the Knocked Up category.

C+

No comments: