Sunday, April 26, 2009

Wall of Fame: Stanley Kubrick

STANLEY KUBRICK - Inducted 10/2008 by Urban
A lot of readers complained to me about Herb's inclusion of a fictional character in the wall of fame, so I figured that I would induct an actual person. Close examination of my top ten movies reveals that I have two directorial efforts from Stanley Kubrick. In my opinion, he is the greatest director in the film history. His list of movies span all genres, crime (The Killing), war (Paths of Glory and Full Metal Jacket), satire (Dr. Strangelove), cult (A Clockwork Orange), sci-fi (2001), historical epics (Spartacus and Barry Lyndon), horror (the Shining), and sexual dramas (Lolita and Eyes Wide Shut). Kubrick in the late 60s, early 70s combined with the first two Godfather movies is arguably the zenith of cinema. Spielberg and Lucas wish they had the flair, writing, and overall directorial ability of Kubrick.

No comments: