Tuesday, April 28, 2009

DVD: Review: TROY Director's Cut

*Posted October 2, 2008*

Most guys, certainly the men of Top Ten, wish that they could be the greatest warrior on the battlefield that is practically invincible and rips people apart. Everyone knows him and fears him, for good reason. To be Achilles would be soooo kick ass. Well, I kind of know what it’s like. When I would enter the Call of Duty server ranked number 1, people would actually type “ooooo, game’s on now.” True story. I was Achilles. But I still don’t understand why critics and audiences panned Troy. I remember being floored by the trailers. I remember being floored on opening weekend. Yet most people threw it in the bin with other failed ‘swords and sandals’ epics. But I bought the blu-ray DVD this weekend on clearance (it seems people still don’t care for it), and it still rules. There’s about 30 minutes of extra footage, more nudity (except with the dudes, it’s that uncomfortable nudity where they show as much below the belt as possible without showing penis), a LOT more blood and guts, and more characterization. I’m fascinated with the story since I’m reading the Iliad for my mythology class (my professors despises the movie, by the way). The Iliad probably starts with the best opening line from any book.

“Rage—Goddess sing the rage of Peleus’ son, Achilles.”

And the movie lives up to it. Great performances from Eric Bana, Brian Cox, Brendan Gleeson, Peter O’ Toole, Sean Bean, and the guy who plays Ajax. Okay performances from the women and Brad Pitt. Orlando Bloom still sucks (and apparently has ruined everything).The duel between Achilles and Hector is definitely among the best cinematic fights with Neo/Agent Smith (1st Matrix) and Rocky/Drago. Everything is made better by widescreen hi-def, except the hi-def makes it too easy to tell that it’s not Achilles that Hector cuts open. Buy this DVD!

Grade: A-

No comments: