*Posted November 20, 2008*
This has been out for quite some time, but I just found out about it. The great thing about Empire's 500 Greatest Movies of All Time is that a lot of it was influenced by fan voting. The list was made from input from plain old fans, industry insiders, and snooty critics, so you know you'll see more movies like Die Hard and less like Citizen Kane. Before I dissect the Top Ten, here are some humorous notables.
500. Ocean's Eleven - makes you think the list is going to be a good one since this is 500.
499. Saw - Hah! Maybe not...
496. Superman Returns - Yep, this is definitely going to be a laughable list.
475. Pirates 2: Dead Man's Chest (Pirates 1 is 371)
470. Glengarry Glen Ross
455. Top Gun
453. INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL!!!!!!!!!! unbelievable
449. STAR WARS EPISODE I: the PHANTOM MENACE: I don't think any of the 3 groups of voters liked it.
413. Finding Nemo - Apparently not the greatest CG film (still my favorite).
407. The Jungle Book - Apparently not the greatest animated film.
405. Iron Man - Another list where Dark Knight smashes loser Tony Stark.
400. Incredibles - Nope, this isn't the top CG film either. Neither is Wall-E at 373, or Monsters Inc at 343
383. Serenity - Should be higher. It's easily better than any Star Wars prequel
374. Hot Fuzz
330. Star Wars Episode III
322. Aladdin - my favorite Disney cartoon
320. Braveheart - ouch. That's not a good place for my number 1 of all time.
309. Transformers - Are you fuckin' kidding me? Better than Braveheart!?!?!?
306. Indy 3: Last Crusade (interestingly worse than Doom's 233)
281. Interview with a Vampire
271. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
240. Forrest Gump
208. The Departed (First ever FLOBY winner)
189. Ghostbusters - Nice surprise, but sadly outdone by...
188. The School of Rock - .....
159. The Royal Tenebaums
144. There Will Be Blood - much higher on the list than FLOBY Winner No Country (228)
99. Toy Story - Highest CG Film
91. Return of the Jedi - stunningly high
88. Ferris Bueller
81. Batman Begins - deserves it
61. Usual Suspects
58. His Girl Friday (recently voted #2 Sexiest Film of All Time behind...... J Lo's "Out of Sight"
56. Casino Royale - wow.
54. LOTR: Two Towers - (ROTK at 34, Fellowship at 24 makes this the highest rated franchise)
44. Schindler's List - "This pin. He would've given me two for it, at least one. One more person."
39. the Matrix
43. The Big Lebowski - Highest rated Coen Film
22. Star Wars: A New Hope
15. THE DARK KNIGHT: Fuck you, Iron Man.
11. Raging Bull - almost made the Top Ten, De Niro.
10. Fight Club - Highly overrated. Shouldn't even make the top 100.
9. Pulp Fiction - Also overrated, but it changed the film industry. Maybe a top 50 movie.
8. Singin' in the Rain - Never saw it, but I know Dave did. Probably knows the songs, too.
7. Apocalypse Now - Boring. Fake film buffs pretend to like this so they seem intelligent.
6. Goodfellas - I hate the ending.
5. Jaws - YES! The first deserving movie in the Top Ten. Transformed the Summer movie season.
4. Shawshank Redemption - #1 according to IMDb voting.
3. STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - Only sequel in Top Ten
2. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Also my number 2.
1. The Godfather - It goes without saying, I suppose.
For those at home tallying up the directors, Spielberg DESTROYED Scorsese 11-8, including two Top Ten movies and 5 in the Top 60. Scorsese had one in the Top Ten (behind both of the Berg's) and only 3 in the Top 60. This settles the debate, Andy. Spielbergs wipes the floor with Marty's eyebrows.
Post a Comment